Friday, September 23, 2005

Update from Jordan

Dear Friends and Allies,

I spent yesterday in New Orleans, where residents are once again preparing for storm and flooding. In Treme, I spoke with Al, Chief of the Northside Skulls Skeleton Crew, a vital institution of Black Mardi Gras. He hasn't left yet, and says he isn't leaving now. "We're holding on," he says. "I've got plenty of food - I've been feeding people from all over. Let me know if you need anything."

I also spoke with the activists from Food Not Bombs, who have set up a food distribution network from a house on Desire Street, and are working on setting up a medical clinic. "We're feeding folks from Central City, Ninth Ward, Treme, all over," said Leenie. Meanwhile, in Houston, many New Orleans evacuees have been evacuated once again.

Below is an update from Families and Friends of Louisiana's Incarcerated Children, an excellent organization I've mentioned in a couple of recent articles. They also speak about ways in which you can support their work. Please help them if they can.

The People's Hurricane Fund also is developing a new website, available at http://www.communitylaborunited.net/. Please check in with them for updates on their work.New Orleans fights on.

in solidarity,

-jordan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home